Monday, September 14, 2009

Love/Hate relationship

My football weekend has been about as bad as it gets. Ohio State Buckeyes, lost in the last two minutes. Cincinnati Bengals, lost in the last 3o seconds. Jungle Kat (fantasy football team), needs TO to have the game of a lifetime tonight to give me a chance in hell of pulling out a win. But all the teams have HOPE. OSU hung with a top 3 team, the Bengals showed defensive power they haven't had the entire Lewis era, and my fantasy defense put up 46 points. As you can tell, I LOVE me some football. I honestly love sports, I think its the best reality tv around. I love the passion you see in the players who have worked for their whole life to be the best of the best. I love when egos get smashed and heart outweighs talent, I love hearing the helmets crash and the whistles blow, when underdogs win and dynasties fall. It's great, you couldn't write it if you tried. I also love the community that revolves around football Sunday. As a Bengals fan I had to go looking for a place that might possible show me the game. I was lucky to find out that there was a bar right in Waterbury that had undergone change of ownership and upgraded its sports bar status. Adding HD televisions and NFL network, which means that I GET TO WATCH THE BENGALS every week. I was amazed at the variety of fans, I saw people wearing Dallas, Philly, Jacksonville and even Brownies shirts. I started out watching the game alone but slowly made some friends. First was the girl from Denver who had to route against the Bengals but we ended up watching most of the game together, her husband who only routed for the Bengals when she was gone, and a gaggle of their friends from around town who were in and out. I also got the dirt on the local football happenings. The owner of one of the local bars is a total Squeelers fan, but his head chef is a Bengals fan. So I may take his head bartender up on the offer of a free beer for walking into the bar with my Bengals jersey on. Its nice to spend some time in the town I've been living in for the past eight months and to meet some of the people. We left it at the probability that we will all see each other on another football Sunday. I'll let you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment