Sunday, June 14, 2009

To do or not to do..

This weekend in Maine I was reminded of some of the reasons why I love New England so much, so here is my to do list for hanging in New England..
Do...
Eat fresh lobster... My cousins Nick and Beth were awesome enough to invite me to stay Friday for lobster straight off the boat. Besides the amazing lobster we also had corn on the cob and baked potatoes, essentially the perfect meal. But I reccomend putting the diet completely to the side, because this meal requires loads of butter and you WILL overeat. But since it's not something you do everyday just commit to it for a night and fully enjoy it.
Go stargazing...after lobster we were feeling overfull and mellow so we had a bonfire and miraculously the cloudy sky cleared up and we got to view the sky. The farther from the city lights and more populated areas you are the more amazing the stars become. I have never seen, anywhere in Ohio, stars like I have seen in New England.
Keep your gas tank reasonably filled...I was something of a road warrior this weekend. Driving from Vermont to Maine on Friday, then to meet my Aunt Natalie and cousin Tasha on Saturday so we could all drive down to Mass for a bridal shower. On the way down my Uncle Kev called to let us know that Tash's horse Daisy had delivered her baby that afternoon, so after a few hours (in which we really had a lot of fun at the shower) we got back into the car and headed back to Maine. I noticed I was running low on gas, but then forgot about it because we kept chatting away, so once we got back to my Aunt's car and I was following her back to her house we were really in the danger zone. However, unlike the city, the gas stations are often many miles apart when you get into the country, and the first two we passed were closed. After driving about 70 miles with the gas light on I finally cruised into an open gas station. So don't take for granted that another gas station is coming your way.
Lastly, find a whoopie pie...these awesomely delicous treats have always been a favorite of ours. We would rarely head to the lake without having stopped for some. There are two fluffy cakes held together with some yummy sugary cream. Now usually they are chocolate cakes and white cream filling, but the one I am currently enjoying consists of pumpkin cakes and cream cheese filling, I mean...c'mon.

No comments:

Post a Comment