Monday, July 27, 2009

Breaking it in

I have spent a lot of time at the lake this summer. The novelty of living so close to the lake hasn't worn off yet and if I have a couple days off with no alternate plans, chances are that I am at the lake. Over time I have gradually been getting used to all the things that come along with the new camp. We've gone from west siders to east siders, which means I stay straight instead of turning right when I hit the lake. Our sunset is better, as opposed to their sunrise. Holding tank vs. a septic system, which may not mean anything to most people but trust me it makes a HUGE difference. Anyway the point is that I have gradually gotten used to the east side of the lake. However, a couple weeks ago the whole Elmendorf clan was in the camp for the first time, and it was no longer gradual. By the end of the week I really felt that the new place was our spot. Over the week we found a way to balance time on both sides of the lake, had our first formal meeting of the martini and cigar club, found out how long it takes to kayak straight across the lake, avoided tickets from the game warden, had an official dessert bake off, drank our first pitcher of margaritas ( and our 2nd, 3rd and 4th) and most importantly we started our memories there. I have a good time with my family no matter where we are, but it's an amazing feeling to look up and realize you are smack in the middle of making a memory.

We call these the first of a million martinis together in the new camp

Various members of the family at the pig roast near the shelter

Schmer and Moog wakeboarding

Sunset margaritas on one of the only nice days

The results of the bake off above and Aunt Stef enjoying one of those sunset margaritas at our impromptu cocktail hour on our deck.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, it looks like you are having a blast! And as always, it looks beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete