Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's officially spring..sort of

With multiple days above the freezing tempature level, somedays even as high as the 50s, the snow is melting all around me. A few weeks ago I saw the first signs that there was grass underneath the snow when the temp jumped up to the 40s for the first time. My first thought when the snow was melting was YAY I no longer have to worry about not making it to my apartment because of snow. Well, I am half right. See, in New England, spring does not come after winter, mud season comes after winter. When all the snow melts it turns into water which then causes places like the DIRT ROAD i live on to become big muddy messes. So now that I have perfected the art of snow driving I am on to a new task, mud driving. I've learned to swerve like a drunk driver so not to get stuck in the scarily deep ruts that occur everywhere. I've learned to never slow down, you must keep driving, and I've learned to stick to the high points on the road. I'm telling you, the more you learn the more you realize you don't know. When I'm off the dirt roads though there are things called "frost heaves" which are really just bumps in the road, and potholes that put lake champlain to shame. The incredible, magical upside to all this is that for two months while I drove along seeing great expanses of white, snow covered fields, I did not know that underneath lay all kinds of surprises. Everyday I make a familiar turn to see an unfamiliar river, pond, brook or lake popped up where yesterday there had been snow or ice. And the clear spring sky really just makes the mountains I have the pleasure of living and working in all that more beautiful. So yes, I am all positive, despite mud season.

No comments:

Post a Comment