Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Back to school....

So on this chilly Vermont morning (-5 on my way to work, fyi) I went back to school. Rest assured it's exactly like you remember it. The junior high boys still wear coats that are way too big, and the girls wear clothes that make them look tougher then they feel. The high schoolers speak more loudly then they will ever again in their life in an effort to be heard. The part that is also the same but appreciated more now is the faculty. Every teacher I saw I instantly put a name from my high school to them. I saw Mr. Klinefelter, Mr Hubbard, Ms. Merrill and the ENTIRE secretarial gang. I also saw something we didn't have in the form of an extermely cute foreign language teacher. My situation also allows me to see the extra effort many of these people put in everyday to help kids out (good job teachers!!). On the flip side, this high school is so much cooler then mine ever was. The cafeteria is open all day so kids can run in and out for late breakfast snacks or just a cup of coffee or tea. There is a huge atrium where kids can hang out during free time that seems to be the center of the action in this school. The biggest difference which probably has a whole lot less to do with the actual high school and more to do with general location is that same sex couples can walk down the hall obviously together without any of the insults or laughing or even bullying that I am POSITIVE would have happened at my high school. It was a very cool thing to see. P.S. I know people want to hear about my job, but it won't happen on here. It's a danger to the people I work with as well as illegal to talk about it, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment